Sunday, August 23, 2015

Knife & Tine - Brunch

If I go to a restaurant that I like for dinner and they also do brunch, I am also interested in that as well.  I like brunch and I am interested to see how the two meals compare or contrast, other than their menus.  I had gone to Knife & Tine for Dinner and liked their elevated comfort food.  As brunch is pretty much all about comfort food, I thought that brunch at Knife & Tine should be a good fit.  We were seated in the enclosed patio in the front, that, despite the fact that it gets a lot of natural light, reminds me of a castle with its stone walls and hanging lights. I generally go for something sweet and savory for brunch which generally means starting off with some sort of pastry.  They did have a French Cruller Donut on the menu, but it was not yet ready when we ordered so I started with bacon.  Bacon generally is considered to fall on the savory side of things, but it does have a natural sweetness, and this bacon was cured with Brown Sugar, Coffee, and Cinnamon, which emphasized its natural sweetness as well as adding some more.  The bacon was crisp and was served in a long and narrow serving dish.  It was actually the same kind of dish in which my Pappadew Pepper appetizer was served when I came for dinner.  There were 4 long pieces of bacon in the dish which were very good.  While it wasn't my standard sweet side of brunch, it was very good and fulfilled that purpose well.
My savory course was very good as can be seen by the empty dish in the picture.  It started out as K&T Hash, which consisted of Crispy Kennebec Potatoes, Apple Smoked Bacon, Crispy Brussels Sprouts, Caramelized Onions, Sriracha Creme, and topped with a Sunny Side Up Egg.

An empty dish doesn't give you much, so I did an internet search and found a picture of the hash on Yelp.  It was crispy, flavorful, and filling, with just the right amount of spice from the Sriracha creme.  I cut the egg in after tasting the different elements to add flavor and tie everything together.  The food was good, service was friendly, and while the space is castle-like, it gives a feeling of security, opposed to claustrophobia.  I enjoyed my meal here and would be happy to return.   

1 comment: