Sunday, October 15, 2017

Alulu Brew Pub - Brunch

As people who know me and/or read this blog, I like beer and I like visiting breweries.  While I had visited many of the breweries, taprooms, and brewpubs on the north side of Chicago, I knew that there were a few new places on the south side that I needed to visit (or revisit).  I started out on a recent trip in Pilsen with a place that I had read about and had encountered at a beer festival in the spring, Alulu Brewpub.  While I had the address, I didn't really know the area and I didn't know what to expect.  Located near a really odd intersection east of Ashland Ave, it doesn't look like much more than a neighborhood bar.  This is not a criticism, there are some really good corner bars that feel like home and put out some really good stuff.  It is simply an observation that it's pretty small and unassuming.  While there is a small patio in front and a nice roll-up window at the front of the bar, the sign is actually a little hard to find, located over the alley next to the bar where the entrance is located.  The first thing that I actually noticed was the stand up sign on the sidewalk with the brunch specials.  As there would be drinking involved, I figured that I should start off things with a good meal and between the specials listing and the menu, this looked like it would be an easy thing to do.  The bar is pretty narrow with a long bar to one side with the taps, the tap list, and assorted glassware behind it.  The walls are brick, though there is a live wall with moss to one side of the taps.  Lighting was from roll up window in front and hanging lights.  While the tables looked comfortable enough, and it was a sunny day out and the patio would have been nice, I decided to be more social and sat at the bar.
The brunch menu did look small, but really good.  The thing that caught my eye was the Brunch Poutine.  In addition to the standard (required) French Fries and Cheese Curds, it had Lamb Merguez Sausage Gravy, Pickled Peppers, 2 Fried Eggs, and an Aurum Defender Biere De Garde on the side.  Poutine is both good bar food and comfort food and this was a good poutine.  It hit the right notes of being salty, savory, and cheesy, adding spicy, and putting an egg on top.  The Aurum Defender on the side was very good and also a very good brewery introduction.  It was rich, malty, and boozy with an 9% ABV.  It almost reminded me of a Belgian Dubbel.
As I was at a brewery that doesn't distribute and makes a wide variety of beers, I thought it would be a shame not to have a flight, though after starting with the Aurum Defender, and knowing that I would be continuing to another brewery, I decided to try to stay on the lighter side of things.  A flight consisted of 5 - 5 oz pours.  I went with Ghostly Liso Mexican Lager (4.5% ABV), Sys Crisp Hoppy Red Rye Pilsner (5.0% ABV), Unison Toasted Rye Pilsner (5.4% ABV), Shad the Calmer APA (5.5% ABV), and Java Waves Coffee Blonde Ale (5.8% ABV).  They were all very good, though standouts were the Ghostly Liso, which was a good, drink anytime beer, and Shad the Calmer, which was nice and hoppy, but not incredibly sharp.  I wanted to like Java Waves more, but the coffee flavor wasn't strong enough.  Alulu is a good friendly place with good food and beer.  I will have to return to try more of the same.      

No comments:

Post a Comment