Sunday, April 8, 2018

Orange on Roscoe - Brunch

 
It has been a long time since I last was at Orange on Roscoe, but I had really liked it so I decided to schedule it for one of my monthly brunches.  Orange has been around for a long time and while there are a couple of Orange Restaurants in the city and there used to be a couple more, I think Orange on Roscoe is the oldest.  It is a small neighborhood brunch place that unsurprisingly focuses on oranges (They have orange coffee) as well as other brunch stuff.  The space is fairly large for a neighborhood restaurant, but it still draws a good crowd on the weekend.  The fact that it doesn't take reservations means that if you want to bring a larger group means that you have to plan to have someone there a little early in order to get your name on the list.  The space is nice with local artists art on the wall, a hardwood floor, tin ceiling, a small bar at the front of the room with an automatic juicer behind it, small booths on the same wall as the bar and tables throughout the rest of the room.  Surprisingly, I was seated pretty quickly before my friends arrived, but because of a misunderstanding, I ended up getting moved when the rest of my party arrived.  It was okay, though because the table was still good and the food was still the same.  I mentioned the Orange Coffee.  It was a given that I would have some when I came as it is something that they are known for and I like good coffee.  I am not sure how it's done, but the coffee definitely has the flavor of oranges without the sweetness.  I drink my coffee black, but I have to imagine with cream, the flavor approaches that of a creamsicle.
Another specialty of the house is their Frushi or Fruit Sushi.  I like fruit and sushi both, so of course I was going to order it.  One order came with one "Maki" Roll and one "Nigiri".  I wanted to share so I ordered two.  The plate presented had the Nigiri with Strawberry and Blueberries on Sushi Rice, the Maki was Lemon and Pineapple in the rice, as well as stripes of Strawberry Jam and slices of Kiwi, Orange, and Grape.  It was good, fresh, and a lot of fun to eat.
There is a rotating Pancake Flight that changes every month.  Also a specialty, it is very popular, and most of our table ordered one.  The Pancake Flight consists of  4 sets of three specialty pancakes with flavors that rotate monthly.  The flavors that were offered this month were the Tea Pancakes, served with Lemon Filling, Whipped Cream, and Honey, Coffee Pancakes with Coffee Cream Reduction, Whipped Cream, and Powdered Cocoa, Hot Cocoa Pancakes with Chocolate Pancakes, with Marshmallow Whipped Cream, and Chocolate Ganache, and the Vitamin C Boost Pancakes with Lemon butter, Fresh Strawberry Slices, and Orange Segments.  All were sweet, flavorful, and very creative, doing a good job referencing the drinks for which they were named.  While they were all good, I think that I liked the Coffee Pancakes best.

I really enjoy Orange and even with the other great restaurants that have opened, has continued doing their thing.  I wish them many more successful years and hope to get back sooner than was the last time I came.  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment