Sunday, February 24, 2019

Arami - Tasting Collective Dinner

 
Among sushi restaurants in Chicago, Arami is frequently listed as one of the best.  It has earned a Michelin Bib Gourmand for the last seven years and while it has been on my list for a while, I had not yet dined there.  I was very excited when the dining group to which I belong, Tasting Collective, announced a six course Hawaiian-style dinner.  I will grant that while the dinner was going to be non-standard and I would have to return to truly see what it's about, I figured that I would at least be able to get an idea what it's about.  The space is a storefront with a very open entryway behind the door.and a bamboo curtain separating it from the front dining room and the bar.  To the right side of the dining room there was a hall leading back into the restaurant, past the kitchen and a sushi counter, to a second dining room, which is where we dined.  The room had brick walls, a cathedral ceiling with a large skylight on one side (as we were dining at night, the skylight was dark) and French doors in the rear of the room, leading to a semi-private dining room. There were banquettes on one side of the room, two long tables in the center, where we sat,  and a few other tables on the side of the room that the hall enters the room.  I ordered a cocktail similar to a Pimm's Cup called a Bohemian Grove to start things off.  It contained St. George's Botanivore Gin,. Pimm's #1, Rosemary, Lemon, and Cynar.  It was spicy, very herbal, and very good.  While I do like gin and I did like this, I did wonder if it would work with the subtle flavors that are frequently found in sushi (it did).
Our first course was a Maki Roll.  Though it was a little loose, it didn't fall apart in handling.  Called a Hayashi Maki, it contained Big Eye Tuna, Papaya, Shiso and Cucumber.  While it was stated that the Maki plate was for four, there was enough for at least two other people.  It was good.  The tartness of the papaya played well with the sweetness of the tuna and there was a lot to eat.  My thought after this course was that if all of the courses were like this, I was going to leave very stuffed.
The next course that came up was my favorite.  Called Kani Motoyaki, it consisted of King Crab Legs, Tobiko (Flying Fish Roe), and Old Bay Aioli served with Cheese Bread.  The crab legs were served in a split shell with the Old Bay and Tobiko spread over top of them.  The meat was tender and sweet with a little spiciness from the Old Bay and a little brininess from the Tobiko.  The cheese bread was dense with a nice cheesy and salty flavor that went well with the crab legs.
 
The next course, I would call the Hawaiian version of Ramen.  Called Tako Luau, it contained Octopus, Coconut Broth, served with a bowl of Sticky Rice.  The Octopus was large and tender, the coconut broth was creamy and went well with the rice and octopus.  As I have never had luau leaf before, I don't know what it's supposed to taste like.  Considering the amount of green in the soup/stew, I imagine that that's what it was.  It was plentiful, well cooked, and had a vegetal flavor.
What is a key component in a luau but a pig and that was our next course.  Called Kahlua Pig and Cabbage, it consisted of Pulled Pork, Napa Cabbage, and Brown Sauce.  There was plenty of of pork and cabbage for us and the texture was great, it was just a little bland.  It could have used a little spice of some sort.
Our final savory course, tasted exactly as the name implied.  Called Chicken Long Rice, it consisted of Roast Chicken, Long Rice, and Clear Broth and was very bland, as many chicken noodle soups are.  I trust that it came out and was served as it was meant to, but if that's the case, I have to say that I didn't care for it.  Everything about this tasted like it was of high quality, but it was boring and needed something else in order that my palate might appreciate it.
Looking at the menu before the dessert came, I saw that we would be getting Mochi.  Mochi is a rice cake made with high gluten rice which is pounded out, formed into a ball and frequently served with ice cream.  In the past, I have not cared for the mochi that I have had, so I really was not looking forward to it.  In this case we were being served something called Butter Mochi which did not sound like any of the mochi that I have had in the past, so I had a little hope.  When it came to the table, it also did not look like any mochi that I have had in the past.  It was listed as being a sweet rice and butter flavored cake.  I took a bite and it was very dense and tasted like sweet rice and butter as the description stated.  I will say that it was not the worst mochi that I have ever had, but it was also not something that I plan on seeking out in the future.

While there were courses that I did not care for in this dinner, overall it was a positive experience.  It is not their regular menu, so I will keep them on my list to try it, though if I have a chance to have a Hawaiian dinner, I will have to look at the menu and think about it beforehand.         
       

No comments:

Post a Comment