Sunday, April 7, 2019

Uncommon Ground, Lakeview - Brunch

It is rare that I repeat a place for brunch, but these were special circumstances.  Uncommon Ground has two locations with different menus and special things about both.  While their location in Edgewater seems to have the more interesting menu, I have never been there and gone to the Lakeview location every time I have gone.  The Edgewater location has the nation's first Organic Rooftop Garden and Lakeview is the location of Chicago's first organic brewery, which was not there when I went there last.  The space in Lakeview is located almost across the street from Wrigley Field and has two rooms, the bar and the performance space which also serves as a gallery for local artists.  There is also a large patio area outside for warmer days.  While it was a sunny day on the day we went, it was not yet warm enough for patio dining and we sat at a table in the bar area.  It was brunch, so coffee was a must, but as the place is also a brewery, their beer was also a must.  I started things off with some great coffee and a beer, Orion's Nebula Funk Berliner Weisse. I like Berliner Weisses because they are sour and generally have a low ABV.  Orion's Nebula Funk filled the bill well.  It was slightly sour, though not overwhelmingly so and an ABV of 3.1%  It was very easy to drink and had a very full flavor for a beer that is only 3.1% ABV.
 
 For my main course, I had more beer.  This one was a DIPA called Skyrocket Nirvana that also included 0.27mg CBD per ounce.  It was a good DIPA with a full mouthfeel and little if any dankness.  For my food I had Ham and Cheese Stuffed French Toast with Crispy Shaved Brussels Sprouts and a side of Bacon.  The Stuffed French Toast was, for all intents and purposes a Monte Cristo Sandwich.  Made with Brioche, it used Local Ham, Rosemary Neufchatel Cheese (very similar to cream cheese), and Bourbon Mapel Syrup.  It was sliced in quarters, sprinkled with Powdered Sugar and had the Crispy Brussels Sprouts served along side and on top with a liberal portion of Maple Syrup.  Were it not for the Maple Syrup, it would have been fairly easy to eat by hand.  As it was, it would have been pretty sticky to handle by hand, so I ate it with a knife and fork.  Despite the method of eating it, it was really good.  It was very flavorful with plentiful ham, the bourbon maple syrup and the rosemary in the cheese and I enjoyed eating it.  As for the bacon, I was given three large slices that were thick cut and cooked to the point where it was crispy, but still having a nice amount of chew.  Overall, I really enjoyed brunch here and would definitely come again, the food and drink is very good and the service was friendly, but I will also have to try their other location.  

No comments:

Post a Comment