Sunday, May 12, 2019

Twain - Brunch

 
 
When I wen to Twain the first time, I went in skeptical.  My mind couldn't get around how you might make Midwestern food interesting.  My mind was quickly changed and I loved what they did, so I decided to schedule a brunch here.  The last time I came it was dark, so I was unable to show the copper etching on the front or the stylized squirrel that is the handle of the heavy front door.  The dining room is very rustic with murals on the wall opposite the bar and kitchen.  Above the hanging lights are large cloth "clouds" that remind me of the forms that were above the lights at the former Graham Elliot Restaurant.  As there were only two of us, we sat at the bar and I started things off with a nice cup of Coffee from Sparrow Coffee Roasters.
Despite sitting at the bar, I was not planning on drinking and they had a couple of pretty good tonics that were both very flavorful and hydrating.  I went with Gus' Ginger Elixer with Lime, Fresh Ginger, and Fresno Chili.  It was sparkling and tart with a nice ginger flavor, and a bite of chili heat at the end.  It was bright and restorative and I really liked it.
 
There were several things on the appetizer side that we were interested in, so we ordered a couple and share.  First were the Hash Browns which were grated, seasoned well, and served in a casserole dish.  They are simple, but they are one of things that, if they're done right, hit all of the right buttons and are really good.  These were really good.  The other dish was a Breakfast Casserole made with Eggs, Cheese, Basil, Lemon, and Onions.  Served in a Cast Iron Pan, it was very fluffy and much like a Quiche.  The Eggs and Cheese made it classic breakfast savory, but the basil and lemon really brightened up the flavor.  It was really good and because of the amount of food we bought, I ended up bringing part of it home.
My main course was a hash, which is kind of becoming a standard for me.  This Hash was a Chorizo Hash made with Yukon Gold Potatoes, Arugula, Salsa Verde, Chihuahua Cheese, Pickled Jalapeno and Poached Eggs.  It was like a Breakfast Burrito without the tortilla, and while I like Breakfast Burritos and feel the tortilla is a big part of it. This was good enough that it felt complete without the tortilla.
One of the reasons that I like sitting at the bar is that I get to talk to the bartender and ask questions.  Frequently that will result in a free sample of something and this day was no exception.  While I was not planning on drinking, I started talking to the bartender about Amaro and mentioned that Averna was the first Amaro that I was really introduced to.  As they had Averna behind the bar, she thought that it was good Digestif and a great way to finish the meal.  I couldn't disagree with her and enjoyed a nice taste of Averna to finish things off.  I really enjoyed my meal here and will definitely return.   

No comments:

Post a Comment