Monday, September 2, 2019

Restaurant Toque - Montreal

 
When people thin of fine dining in Montreal, most will first think of Joe Beef, but if you google Fine Dining Montreal, Restaurant Toque' will show up high on the list.  Located in downtown Montreal, it serves seasonal French cuisine a la carte or as a Tasting Menu.  I decided to try their tasting menu so I could try more things.  Located in what looks like an office building, it's pretty unobtrusive and easy to walk past.  It's also located on a side street, but it's opposite a park, so it has good visibility and you have a lot of opportunity to see it.  The dining room is large open and carpeted with a curved bar opposite the window modern looking wine storage.  Located in a glassed in room visible from the dining room, the bottles sit on their sides on modern minimalist shelving.  There is also a stairway in the room, which I imagine, leads to more wine storage.  While their wine list did look good, I decided not to opt for a wine pairing with the tasting menu.  I went with a cocktail called La Detox instead.  It looked and tasted like a vegetable smoothie, which it was, with some booze added.  Starting with Gin St. Laurent, it also had Cucumber Juice, Celery Syrup, Lime, and Egg White.  I am generally not a vegetable smoothie drinker, but this wasn't bad.
Before the dinner actually started, I was presented with an Amuse Bouche.  It was a Cold Cod Soup with Cod Confit, Olive Oil, and Croutons.  It was thick, creamy, and very good.  While I like cod, I was surprised with how much flavor this contained.  I liked it, though think that a larger portion would have been too much.
The first course was also in the seafood vein., but was also very seasonal.  We started with Nordic Shrimp with Cucumbers and Strawberries.  I was surprised that strawberries and shrimp would work together, but the sweetness from each complemented each other and the vegetal flavor of the cucumbers also went well with the shrimp.  It was interesting and very good .  I liked it.
I will admit that course number two really didn't do it for me.  It was a Filet of Hake with Turnips.  Hake, like cod, is also a white fish, so it has a generally mild flavor, but turnips are very earthy, and it brought out the earthy flavor of the hake.  Overall, it kind of tasted like dirt.  I ate it, but it wasn't something I would have chosen.
The next course progressed to the savory and had a lot of combinations of flavors.  Starting with Foie Gras, it also had Raspberry Jam, Mushrooms, Pistachios, Cipollini Onions, and Shortbread.  Individually, everything was very good, but it was also a lot of fun to see how the different elements would taste together.  The Foie, Raspberry Jam, and Shortbread were good, but I think my favorite combination was the Mushrooms, Onions, and Foie.
My first entree was Braised Lamb with Eggplant, Tomatoes, and Mushrooms.  The Lamb was heavily glazed and was very tender.  While we were given a steak knife, the meat was so tender that it flaked apart with a fork.  It sat in a Tomato Puree.  The Mushroom was also pureed, but the Eggplant was folded on either side of the lamb.  It was all tender and very flavorful and was a good entree start.
My next course was Duck, which is generally my favorite protein.  As is typical, the main part was Fileted Duck Breast.  It was served with a Green Garlic Leaf, and Truffle and Foie Gras sauce.  On the side were Pureed Raspberries, Potatoes, and Duck Heart.  This was also a lot of fun combining flavors and textures.  The duck breast went well with the raspberries (as did the potatoes).  The duck heart didn't taste largely different from the duck breast, it did have more of a minerally flavor, but the texture was very different.  It was all good, and I enjoyed mixing and combining the different flavors.
For my pre-dessert I had a choice, I could go with the Cow's Milk Cheese for a Cheese Course, or I could go for a surprise.  While I am sure that the cheese was good, I will always go for the surprise.  For my surprise Pre-Dessert, I got Fennel Jelly, Star Anise Meringue, Celery, Brambleberry, and Brambleberry Sorbet.  Fennel and Anise both have a Black Licorice flavor and Brambleberries are pretty tart.  The variety of textures and flavors made this my favorite course.  It was sweet, tart, licorice, a little bitter, or a combination of these depending on what you tasted.  It was a lot of fun and very good.
Dessert was creative and I liked the way that it looked, though I can't say that I liked it overall.  Starting with a White Chocolate Torte, it was topped with Lemon Creme and White Chocolate and Raspberry Meringues.  On one side was a rolled slice of Cucumber and Raspberry Pudding, and the other side was a Cucumber Sorbet.  The main part of this I did like, even if it felt a little incomplete.  The Raspberry Pudding was okay, but I didn't think that the Cucumber or Cucumber Sorbet worked.
Finishing things off, I was presented with a couple of Mignonettes, both referencing the cuisine of Quebec.  The first was a Maple Candy and the other was a Blueberry Jelly.  They were both nice, sweet, and simple, and were a nice way to finish a good meal.  I was glad to have come here even if it wasn't a home run.        

No comments:

Post a Comment