Monday, March 23, 2020

Barton G - Restaurant Week

 
 
 
 
 
As I mentioned before, Restaurant is a good time for me to check out a restaurant that I might not otherwise go to.  I saw note of Barton G when it opened and noticed that it also had locations in Miami and Beverly Hills, I am not a huge fan of chain restaurants and with the other locations, my thought was that it would be an over-priced and flashy place that was more about being seen than the food or drink.  I won't deny that a place to be seen at frequently has good food, but they frequently attract people who are more interested in who is there than what is on their plate.  A look at their menu before restaurant week provided me more evidence of that idea.  While it did have several strikes against it in my head, I had seen pictures and thought it would be interesting, at least to see and their participation in Chicago Restaurant gave me an opportunity to check it out.  When I arrived, I noticed that it was located in the former Sullivan's Steakhouse and the first thing that I noticed when I came to the host's table was a wall of wooden monkeys similar to those used in the game, Barrel of Monkeys.  I could see the whimsy continuing as I looked around the dining room as I was being led to me seat.  There were large wooden gorillas with suspenders sitting on a divider between two banquettes, the hanging lighting across the bar from me was in the form of trapeze artists, and there was a wall of orchids.  I sat down and saw that my napkin was laid atop my menu.  It was folded in the form of a bath robe/lounge jacket. I saw that the place would be pleasure to view, even if the food turned out unimpressive and I was excited for the experience.
 
 
Looking at the cocktail menu, I saw that there cocktails were very expensive and some used liquid Nitrogen. I was a little put off looking at the prices of the drinks, I figured though, that since I was here, I should try to get as much of the restaurant experience as I could, so a drink would be included.  I happened to see a drink called a Howard Hughes which looked very like an Aviation.  As Howard Hughes founded Hughes Aviation, it made sense, but I also thought (cynically) that it was so expensive that only a billionaire like Hughes would order it.  I was shocked, surprised, and amused, when my drink arrived because it was served in a very large holder that was formed like a large Art Deco Airplane (with the glass holding the drink on top).  When it arrived, it was steaming after being chilled with liquid Nitrogen and I was instructed not to try to drink it until it stopped steaming.  I am a chemist that works with Liquid Nitrogen occasionally, so I know that it's at about -320°F.  This would not be exceptionally pleasant to drink, so I held off.  The drink was still a bit frozen when I took it out of it's holder though.  An Aviation is Gin, Maraschino Liqueur, Creme de Violette, and Lime, frequently with a Maraschino Cherry garnish.  The Howard Hughes was made with Pear-infused Gin, Maraschino, Creme de Violette, and Lemon garnished with a Marasca Cherry and frozen with Liquid Nitrogen.  It was essentially an Aviation, it was cold, and it was pretty good.  The presentation was outrageous and pretty cool and I was glad I spent the money for it.
For my appetizer, I went with the Popcorn Shrimp.  I like Popcorn Shrimp, but after my cocktail, I had no idea what to expect.  What I did not expect was to be brought an entire movie-style pocorn maker (with popcorn).  In the popcorn maker was a steel dish  with Popcorn and a paper cone with Popcorn Shrimp on the top and more Popcorn on the bottom.  It was served with Honey Sriracha Sauce and Chili Aioli.  The shrimp was very tender was very tender and flavorful with a light coating, and were very good on their own, but the sauces did complement them well, giving a nice light burn.  The popcorn, unfortunately was popcorn.  It was a bit overcooked, though not inedible.  It was better with the sauces, though it still felt like eating cardboard.
Now that I had an idea of what kind of place this was, I was excited to see how my entree would come out.  I ordered Salmon, so I kind of expected a nautical theme.  I was wrong.  The service tray was a floating paint can with orange paint pouring down into a puddle.  On the puddle was a Rectangular Steel Textured Tray/Plate on which was my entree:  Pan-Roasted Faroe Island Salmon with Heirloom Barley and Beet Risotto, Butternut Squash, and Toasted Hazelnut Butter.  The Salmon was very tender and mild, with a light crispy exterior, and a tender and flaky interior.  The Salmon was served on top of the Barley and Beet Risotto, and I frequently ate them together.  The barley was nicely al dente with the beets adding a bittersweet and earthy flavor.  The Squash was pureed and served on the side.  It did go well with the salmon, though in smaller tastes.  It was good and fun and I could hardly wait for my dessert.
 
Dessert was listed as chef's choice, so I had no idea what I would be getting.  At this point, with the whimsy I had experienced, it didn't matter.  I was excited to see what would come out.    What came out was a Wheelbarrow full of "dirt" and a Flower Pot with a Chocolate Covered Strawberry on top of stuff.  I was told that the "dirt" was Graham Cracker Crumbs, and while it was edible, it was more for presentation.  What I was supposed to eat was in the Flower Pot.  Under the Strawberry we had a Graham Cracker Crumble over Chocolate Mousse, over Dark Chocolate Crumble.  It was whimsical, tasty, and a great finish to a weird and funny meal.  I would love to return for a special occasion with someone else who might enjoy the whimsy.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment