Sunday, August 7, 2011

Great Lakes Ice Cream Company


I don't know that I have ever had bad ice cream that was properly stored. It can become freezer burned if it's stored too long and I'm not a fan of melted ice cream but in general, even "low quality" ice cream is good. Some flavors might be a little boring, but given the choice between boring ice cream and something like cantaloupe, pears, or popcorn, I will choose boring ice cream every time. Great Lakes Ice Cream Company's Ice Cream is definitely not low quality ice cream. Nor is it boring. They are a premium ice cream manufacturer with a shop in Midland, Michigan. They have some very inventive flavors (or at least flavor names) available for scoops like Copper Country (vanilla with brownie nuggets and veins of caramel), Great Lakes Rainbow (blueberry, blue moon, and key lime), Saffron Spice (yellow saffron ice cream with a saffron flavor), and the ever popular Dog Puke (colored cookie dough in a vanilla base). They also sell floats, sundaes, cakes, and packaged quarts. Admittedly, there is less a selection with the quarts with Vanilla, Chocolate, Cookie Dough, Cookies and Cream, and a couple of sorbets being offered when I was there but good ice cream is good ice cream. I really like Great Lakes Ice Cream Company and will continue to give them my business when I visit Michigan between March and mid-October.

1 comment: