Sunday, November 27, 2011

Bakin' & Eggs


Getting up at 5 am on weekday mornings, I do not have the ambition to cook any sort of interesting breakfast. As a matter of fact, they are generally pretty boring. After eating 5 days of really boring breakfasts, when the weekend comes, sometimes you really want something interesting. I went to Bakin' & Eggs last week for breakfast and definitely got an interesting breakfast. The recently opened breakfast (and brunch) spot from the owners of Lovely Bake Shop is located in Lakeview and has a definite small town general store vibe. The walls are robin's egg blue with black and white pictures of baked goods. The floor is hardwood, the ceiling is tin, and the tables and chairs and the antique bus bench are also wood. There is a long bar along the left side which provides for more seats for breakfast as well as a spot for a nice cup of coffee (Intelligencia) and some very good baked goods. Bakin' & Eggs does not take reservations so if you come with a group on a weekend, expect to wait. I came by myself and was quickly seated at the bar. You can get eggs, waffles, pancakes, and biscuits at many places but I wanted something a little different. I ordered a breakfast sandwich and a side of bacon which I will get to in a minute. The sandwich started with chicken apple sausage on cinnamon raisin toast with an egg to order (over easy) and aged cheddar. It was served with maple syrup and a side of fried potatoes, fried with garlic and sprinkled with aged Parmesan. While the sandwich looked and tasted good, the potatoes were amazing.
I also ordered a side of bacon. It was not just a side of bacon, though. It was a flight of bacon. I was brought 5 different slices of crispy bacon. The bacons were maple, jalapeño, honey, cherry, and mesquite and they were all very crispy. While bacon is always a win, I think I would have preferred it if it was a little less crispy. My favorite bacon though, was the jalapeño or the mesquite.

Bakin' & Eggs was a good choice for breakfast and one that I would be happy to visit again. The food was good, the staff was friendly, and the atmosphere was very welcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment