Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Bite Cafe - Brunch

I have liked Bite Cafe every time I have come.  Located next to the Empty Bottle, I knew that they were a good place to get food after a show, but I had heard that they also had a good brunch.  I knew, though, that they were very popular, so I didn't think that it would have been a great place to host one of my brunches, especially considering their small size.  I had something that I needed to do on a weekend morning that was close to Bite, so I decided to stop for brunch.  When I arrived, the place was full, though there was a seat at the counter, so I, luckily, was able to sit immediately.  I like sitting at the counter, because I like to watch people working and it gives me a better view of the specials board.  As I was sitting in a corner, it was also easy to turn around and view the dining room.  The dining room frequently has art from local artists for sale on the walls.  On the day that I went, there were bathing suits on the wall.  I assume that they were also for sale, but as I have no use for a woman's bathing suit, I didn't really look.
I started things off with a Coffee (from Dark Matter) and a large Orange Juice and a Bowl of Fresh Strawberries and Blueberries.  In general, I have found that Dark Matter Coffees seem to be roasted a little on the lighter side.  I prefer my coffee a medium roast, so in general, I have found their coffee a little light.  This coffee, however, was made specifically for Bite and was a darker roast than I had had in the past.  This I liked.  The Orange Juice was also freshly squeezed.  It was sweet and had a good amount of pulp (which I like).  For my first bites, I ordered a bowl of bowl of Fresh Strawberries and Blueberries.  I really like strawberries and blueberries and while I would expect both of these in a summer fruit salad, it was funny and nice to see that it was just strawberries and blueberries being served.  They were very fresh, juicy, and flavorful, and really enjoyed it.
Also on the menu as a side was the Crispy Pork Belly.  Bacon is Pork Belly that has been cured and while I have had my share of bacon, I don't know that I have ever had Pork Belly that was simply pan fried.  When it came out, I saw that it looked like a very thick and crispy piece of bacon and I was looking forward to it.  While it looked like a nice piece of bacon, however, without the cure, pork belly tastes more like ham than bacon.  It did taste good and had the salty flavor of bacon, but texturally, it was more liked well cooked ham.  It was good, though I do prefer bacon to ham.
I finished things off with a Hash.  Most hashes that I have had are a combination of Potatoes, Meat, and Onions, with an Egg on the side.  This hash, however, was a Veggie Hash.  It started with Yukon Gold and Sweet Potatoes, and added Zucchini, Squash, Baby Kale, 2 Poached Eggs, Hollandaise Sauce, and Toast.  While I am a meat eater, I can appreciate a good vegetarian dish, and this was very good.  With the variety of textures and flavors, the meat was unnecessary and I didn't miss it.  The Hollandaise Sauce combined with the flavors of the vegetables and potatoes to make for a very enjoyable dish.  It was a great brunch and I will certainly make a point to return in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment