Sunday, December 22, 2019

Gather


Lincoln Square has a great restaurant scene near the Old Town School of Folk Music and has for many years.  I had heard many good things about Gather, so I decided to visit.  When I went, I discovered that I had been here in a previous incarnation as French Restaurant, LM.  Like LM, the exterior was still Forest Green.  The interior still has green accents, and was open, but felt smaller.  It still has a large front window which provides a lot of the light and still feels nice and homey.
I was seated at a banquette table by the window and started perusing the menu.  The menu, both food and cocktail, seem very seasonal and Farm to Table.  I decided to start, while I was looking, with the Bartender's Seasonal Harvest with Laird's Applejack Brandy, Egg White, Allspice Dram, Apple and Persimmon, and Fresh Leaves.  This was really good and very much reminded me of fall.  The top was fluffy and with the leaves, apple, and spices really reminded me of a Spiced Cider in front of a camp fire.  It also reminded of a Pisco Sour.
My first food course was very much a fall vegetable, Grilled Carrots with Korean Barbecue, Pickled Daikon, Kimchi, Carrot Ginger PurItee, a Coriander Crisp, and Sesame.  This was very good.  The carrots were tender and I really liked the Asian flavors and spice.  The Carrot Ginger Puree added some spice, sweetness, and additional carrot flavor. 
For my next course, I went with more fall vegetables, Beets.  The Beets were both Red and Gold, Roasted, and served with a pairing commonly served with beets, Goat Cheese, which, in this dish, was Whipped Feta Cheese.  In addition, there were Balsamic Cipollini Onions,  Barley, Mustard Vinaigrette, Beet Chips, and Smoked Honey.  I really like beets and goat cheese and this was a good version of that.
For my entree, I had Pork.  It was a Grilled Pork Chop with Roasted Sweet Potato, Grilled Heart of Palm, Coconut + Lime Puree, Pate a' Choux (a light pastry shell), and Ginger Jus.  It was very good, having a wide variety of flavors and textures.
Then came dessert.  It was simple, seasonal, and I was very full when I finished.  It started with Apple Fritters, Vanilla Ice Cream, Caramel, and Powdered Sugar.  It was a great finish to a great dinner and I would very much enjoy returning.

No comments:

Post a Comment