Saturday, July 2, 2011

Northside Bar & Grill

I went out, Monday night with some friends to Northside Bar & Grill in Wicker Park (in Chicago). Coming in, I will admit, I wasn't expecting anything special. It's in a high traffic area so even if it was average, because it's in a good area, it would get a lot of traffic. It was a warm night aand it has a large outdoor seating area so it was kind of busy when we arrived. We actually sat inside the bar but right in front of the big French doors in front so we might as well have been outside. It was nice. A bar and grill will have a fairly standard menu of grilled sandwiches, burgers, wings, nachos, salads, and the occasional flat iron steak. There were no real big surprises when it came to what was on the menu although it was a little bit of a surprise to see falafel and hummus. The beer list, on the other hand, was pretty good as were the prices for the beer, so I was able to find something that I liked pretty easily. There were eight of us in our party so it was surprising how good our service was. A larger party will typically be a bit slower but she brought us our beers quickly and took our orders and our food didn't take a tremendously long time to come out. A lot of burgers and nachos were ordered (as well as a salad). I ordered a bacon bleu cheese burger which was served with lettuce, tomato, and onions on a kaiser roll (some burgers were served on a pretzel bun) with fries on the side and my neighbor ordered chicken nachos which aside from the house made tortilla chips (and the chicken) had refried beans, spicy jalapeno cheese sauce, pico de gallo, sour cream, guacamole, and jalapeno peppers. Most burgers at a given place will look fairly similar as will nachos so I didn't feel like being redundant and just shot the picture of my burger and my neighbors nachos which I sampled. While it is fairly standard bar fair, it was presented pretty well and also tasted pretty good. It's a good value for the money, the beer list was good, as was the service. It's a good place to meet friends over a beer and to watch the game and I can see it happening at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment