Monday, July 25, 2011

Sprinkles Cupcakes


Anytime is a good time for cupcakes and free is just a bonus. Chicago, luckily, has several very good cupcake shops not to mention the trucks, independent or associated with a bakery. I had heard great things about Sprinkles Cupcakes, despite the fact that they are a chain, but I had never been to their shop. And while I had seen their truck, it has always been at a time when I couldn't stop. I came close to getting a Sprinkles Cupcake last week when they were parked outside Pitchfork Music Festival giving away free cupcakes but I was volunteering at the gate and I couldn't get free long enough to get out to their truck. There were several people at the gate that were able to get some cupcakes but I was not one of them. My luck changed yesterday when I was selling beer tickets at the Sheffield Garden Walk. They were parked outside the gate early and I had time to get away and grab a free cupcake. They were giving away their first 500 cupcakes for free so I ran out and grabbed a free cupcake. They were offering Ginger Lemon, Vanilla, Red Velvet, and Carrot Cake. I had had Vanilla, Red Velvet, and Carrot Cake cupcakes at other places but I had never had ginger lemon and it sounded interesting so that's the way I went. It was very good and actually reminded me of a very soft gingerbread. The frosting was cream cheese and the decoration on the top actually is used as an identifier. It was nice to hear one of the truck operators comment on the fact that it was nice to have so many adventurous eaters.

Sprinkles Cupcakes are very good their truck uses Twitter to indicate where they will be. I may have to follow them to make sure that I can actually stop when I see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment