Saturday, April 2, 2011

one sixtyblue

The first restaurant I visited for restaurant week was one sixtyblue. The Michael Jordan owned restaurant was named for its former appearance and address. The building, whose address is now listed as 1400 W. Randolph St., was a former blue walled pickle factory at 160 N. Loomis St. where it is still located (The only reason I can think that they changed the address to Randolph st is that there are more restaurants on Randolph so the address sells better). The building is no longer blue it's yellow and the tables and decoration in the place is black. The tables have a good amount of room from each other so you can actually move between tables and the kitchen is open so you can actually see the chefs working. It also has an enormous wine cabinet that makes up one wall. I went here with my friend Heather and her boyfriend, Tim, who had never been here but had tasted some of Chef Michael McDonald's food at Chicago Green City Market. While I would like to give many details for my meal, unfortunately I kept things brief when I wrote things down the first time. I do remember though that I really liked my meal. I had the four course menu for $44 as did Heather. I had a beef tartare for my appetizer, a charcuterie plate with prosciutto, a pork pie, and a beef terrine, beef tri tip with trumpet mushrooms and garlic mashed potatoes, and a chocolate and peanut butter terrine with popcorn as a garnish. I don't like popcorn and when I got this, I tried the popcorn first to see if there might be something about it that might make me change my mind. No, it was just popcorn but when I tried it with the chocolate and peanut butter, it really worked so I was able to eat it. Heather also had the tartare and the chocolate and peanut butter terrine but she had the cheese plate as her extra plate and a gnocchi dish for her entree. Tim just had the three course meal with a salad, and the beef tri tip but I don't remember what he had for dessert. Overall, it was a good meal and I would enjoy going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment